As has been alluded in many replies, lutes don't necessarily stay in tune
when subject to variable environments.  The question might be more
appropriately phrased as "What makes lutes going out of tune less
problematic?"

One thing I have not seen mentioned is minimizing friction over the nut.
This better balances the tension of the vibrating string with the tension
stored behind the nut.  Well-smoothed nut slots help.  Winding strings so
they come off the nut in as straight a line as possible also helps.

Eugene