There's no question, empirically, that going to concerts is good for
your playing and listening to CDs is bad for your playing.
Everyone has to make that choice--whether they are a listener or a player.
Another way to look at it is that no one in the renaissance or
baroque ever listened to CDs, it was never part of their training.
CDs are a product of modern aesthetic values. To train yourself in
renaissance and baroque style, I think it is important to study what
they studied, up to a point. I draw the line at candles.
A CD will never reveal how you play--at best it realizes the
imagination of the artist, at worst it is frozen food--but even at
its best it cannot approach the enchanted realm of live music

As for an interpretation that is not to one's taste, some
interpretations are polarizing; that means that the artist has taken
a significant stand. That's a sign of artistic independence. BRAVO!
To the performer who can both charm and annoy.
The point about married to one performance is interesting--although
one can only be married to a recording, since the performance itself
is just a passing fancy.

Perhaps the listener of yore would have been horrified and bored by
hearing the exact same piece the same way over and over again, like
having a TIVO that could only record the same episode of Grey's
Anatomy, or the Lost Pilot for Groundhog Day, where the hero is stuck
making ice sculptures and taking beginning piano, but never escapes.
dt