The LSA started a small rental program in the San Francisco area about
   a year ago. We were given 3 instruments: a vihuela, a baroque lute and
   a renaissance lute to start with. After getting advice from Chris
   Goodwin (Lute Society) and some US people running rental programs for
   folk harp we decided to keep the rentals within driving distance of San
   Francisco, and not to ship them to other parts of the US.  We have an
   agreement form (contract) that lists all contact info, and what the
   monthly rental fee is.  One of our requirements is that the person who
   rents the instrument take lessons. These are not instruments that most
   people can learn to play from a book.  So far we have not asked for a
   deposit.
   Right now we are considering expanding the program to some other area
   in the US and in order to do this we need to find some more donated
   lutes, plus a person to be in charge of the program.
   Nancy