On Nov 19, 2010, at 10:28 AM, jsl...@verizon.net wrote:

> Definitely get a strap, which will allow you to sit up straight

Or stand up straight and walk around.

> I not played it in 4 years because holding it causes me back pain
>   after 15 minutes.  Any solution such as a strap or holder?  I wrote
>   daniel larson about this but no reply.

I'm not surprised.  He's (as Dr. McCoy would say) a lute builder, not a doctor,
and (as Cassius would say) the fault, dear Brutus, is not in your lute but in
your posture.  Try hanging the lute from a strap and look in the mirror as you
play.  Are your shoulders hunched up?  Your back straight?  Are you stiff?  Do
you breathe?