You are mistaken if you think this applies generally  MH
   --- On Sat, 2/7/11, Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

     From: Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: What's the point to 'historical sound'
     To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu, "Ron Andrico" <praelu...@hotmail.com>,
     "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Date: Saturday, 2 July, 2011, 19:29

   Martyn,
   --- On Sat, 7/2/11, Martyn Hodgson <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   wrote:

   >    The whole effort of historical musicology
   > for at least the past 50
   >    years has been to determine, in so far as
   > the evidence exists and to
   >    the best of our ability, what the earlier
   > composers (and thus their
   >    audiences) would have expected.

   Really?  I gathered that the whole point of historical musicology
   involves adopting some all-embracing modern social thesis (usually
   inherited from one's doctoral advisor and of a properly radical
   persuasion) and then diligently applying oneself to creating a
   decontextualized selective historiography demonstrating how all of the
   "great ones" were secretly ardent adherents of the then-heretical
   philosophy.  I'm thinking of something like Susan McClary's hypothesis
   that Schubert's instrumental music is really a thinly veiled homosexual
   manifesto because he often used "girly" chords related by thirds.
   Chris