"Has anyone done business Chris Henriksen/Boston Catlines lately?  I
   was once very satisfied dealing with him, but I don't think I've
   actually bought any strings in this century, and now that I finally
   need new ones, I feel like a string virgin again."

   I buy strings from him all the time (e.g. such as at the recent Boston
   Early Music Festival).  Superb quality of service.

   On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM, howard posner
   <[1]howardpos...@ca.rr.com> wrote:

   On Aug 28, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Garry Warber wrote:
   > I'm thinking theorbo purchase...  Where does one get a nylon theorbo
   >   14-course string set?

     Never mind the strings; where did you find a nylon theorbo?

   > I measured my 8-course lute strings, which went
   >   from 100cm to 110cm; obliviously too short...  Please, no "you must
   use

   >   gut(!)" nonsense.  Are theorbo strings bought individually?  Please
   >   name sources, if possible.

     Yes, you should buy the strings individually.  Lutes and theorbos
     are not standard lengths, so an all-purpose "set" of them, such as
     you can buy for a guitar, makes no sense.
     Any instrument you buy should have strings already on it, so if the
     seller can tell you what they are, you can make changes as it suits
     you.  And BTW, for long theorbo basses, gut works fabulously well
     and lasts forever.
     You can find a list of string makers/sellers here:
     [2]http://www.unm.edu/~ctdbach/music/lute_strings.html