   From: howard posner <howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
   To: lute net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 1:37 PM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Bach's Lute Suites: This Moose is Blasted
   On Apr 30, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Roman Turovsky wrote:
   > JSB didn't play gamba either as evidenced by his reassignment of
   nicely playable lute part in the MatthACURusPassion to an impossible
   one for gamba in the 2nd version.
   > Any gambist would tell you that that "gamba" part is pure hell.
   And anyone who doesn't have to worry about sounding good playing it
   will tell you that it's brilliantly "composed" to illustrate the pain
   and weight in the text:
   Come, sweet cross, I will say then: My Jesus, give it always to me.
   Should my pain become too heavy, Then help me to carry it myself.
   Viewed in that light, replacing the lute with gamba was a
   masterstroke.
   Whether you agree or not, you have to keep in mind that a composer has
   more things in mind than whether the player finds a part easy or
   difficult.