"That said, I've seen some lovely 7c instruments and they sound better
for resisting the extra course. Ed Martin's, for example, as well as
Jacob Herringman's 7c Gerle. The latter is interesting in that it
retains the earlier parabolic neck which, I think, would not support 8
courses. If that is your route you're well set up to go to the 6c." Sean

    Very true of 7c Gerle lutes, Sean. I have the same Gerle model by Martin
Haycock as that used by Jacob Herringman on his Sienna recording, and it is
such a clear open sounding instrument (although the neck is not quite as
parabolic as many 6c lutes, and I know of one person who has this lute in a 10c
version).

I felt this 7c Gerle was an excellent compromise for Italian and English 6 and
7c music (and by keeping 7c in D, further opening its repertoire, as explained
by others for most 9c music); although by the same reasoning, if it was only 6c
music that I had wanted to play, there is no doubt that a 6c instrument would
also "sound better for resisting the extra course".

I also agree with those who prefer the 11c Baroque lute over a 13c (even rider)
lute; however, it is probably true that when extra basses are in gut (pure,
loaded or gimped), the lack of clarity, brought about by the additional basses,
is minimised.

     I have had my Gerle with pure gut basses, and loaded basses, and I prefer
the depth of the sound with loaded basses, but this is perhaps a question of
personal taste, and also of the music I have tended to play on it (the thinner
7c bass given by a loaded or gimped bass is probably easier to stop to obtain
F, than a thicker pure gut bass).

However, perhaps this 7c compromise did not work quite as well as I had hoped
for 6c music, as I have never actually played the Sienna lute book repertoire
on it for which I originally bought the intrument (and which I love). I do
think for this, the pure gut, I originally had on the instrument, might have
been better than the loaded basses I have on it at present, but which seem to
work so well for Holbourne, et al.

Regards
Anthony