Fellow lute folk,

I am (don't ask why) taking a music appreciation class this semester.
We are required to write a one-page journal entry  periodically,
related to one of our listening assignments. Fear not, this is not a
"do my homework request." The page is done.

The song I chose is by Thomas Weelkes, variously called "When Kempe
danced alone" or "Since Robin Hood Maid Marion (and Little John are
gone)" from the first line. The reason I wanted to do this one is
because the professor is extremely enamored of feelings, and this song
startled me quite a bit.

It is a three-voice madrigal (with diddle's for fa-la's or
nonny-nonnys) which starts (as the second title indicates bemoaning
that the named heros of legend and the Morris dance had been
suppressed by the Puritanism of the Protestants, and the Hobby Horse
(also a Morris fixture which had becomed unfixed) was forgotten, so
that Kemp (of "Nine Daie Wonder" fame) danced alone. A bit of looking
online filled in the gaps (for someone not familiar with Morris
history, I have to admit that the connection between Robin, Marion,
Little John and the Hobby Horse was escaping me!)

The next line "He did labor after the tabor, so to dance, then into
France" is what caught my attention: It is based on the first phrase
of "Watkin's Ale" if I'm not mistaken. (OK, it is definitely based on
Watkins Ale, but that latter song might have many more sets of words
or connotations or connections than my palty research has been able to
uncover.) The rest of the song (telling how he worked hard after gain,
skipping it and  tripping it on the toe before getting into the meat
of the diddles and diddle-does.)

Our book (and not a few others) refer to Weelkes as a blasphemous
fellow and a drunkard, for which he was fired from his position as
Organist to Chichester Cathedral.

Watkin's Ale is a baudy song which uses "Watkins Ale" as an euphemism
for the male aparatus of coitus (cleverly, at that) in which the Maid
who is introduced at the start as "Afraid to dye a maid" is relieved
of this fear, but then becomes pregnant. Before two verses of
moralizing and apology to all the pious folk, it does produce this
aphorism: There is no jesting with edged tools. I first heard the song
done by the City Waites some 37 years ago, when I was floating around
the Mediterranean in a round-bottom boat with a bunch of helicopters
perched precariously on it's flat surfaces. So Weelkes' little dittie
evoked both surprise and no small amount of nostalgia in me, which is
pretty good for a song that has been off the charts for about 414
years.

My question is this: Why Watkin's Ale? Is there some important
connection between Kemp, Weelkes and someone named Watkins? (I find
only one reference to someone named Watkins,  "28 December [1591],
Thomas Gosson, Entred for his copie under thand of Mr Watkins, the
Thirde and last parte of Kempes Jigge" ) Is there a subtext here that
is worth knowing about? Is Weelkes inferring that Kemp's entering
France (in the end of this phrase and then repeated) has connotations?
Is this just a case of an overactive imagination coupled with
composer's expediency (i.e., random plaigerism?)

I'd love to know more if more available to be known.