Much worse.  It is a condition where the body makes too many red
cells, and the treatment is to remove blood periodically.  Otherwise,
many complications.  It is the only condition that I know of, where
actual blood-letting is an accepted, effective treatment.

Those "authentic" barbers from the past were on to something........