Dear Martyn,

we can discuss about which music they played on this lute shaped guitar and
which music was played on the figure-eight small renaissance guitar but not
about its name in Italy during the XVIIth century.
When the spanish 5 course guitar became well known in Italy there was no more
reason to call it chitarra italiana, and it was simply called  chitarrino or
sometimes 5 course mandola ( which is quite confusing because mandola was
mainly used to call the 5 course baroque mandolino)
but mandore or mandora was never used in Italy.

Have a look at Evaristo Baschenis' inventory  (1677)   - who painted this
instrument 127 among 128 of his paintings - where  it is called chitarrino to
distinguish it from the other 2 spanish guitars.

regards,

Davide

PS: you could also have a look at what I wrote about guitar's history in books
published by Il Salabue (The Guitar: four centuries of masterpieces 2008 and
Passioni di un collezionista, dai liuti ai violini 2011(italian/ english)
and in my recent new book on the lute history (Il Liuto L'Epos, Palermo 2012).