No, Toyohiko uses pure gut, no metal.  He strings his lutes with a
low tension gut, and he has moved away from metal in the basses - no
loaded, no gimped, certainly no wound strings.  In fact, that is what
I have been using lately, pure gut, no metal.  It really does give a
glorious sound.

The instrument is an old Greiff, and it was restored 20 years ago by
Nico van der Waals, but more recently, it had more work done on it.

He has recorded many CD's on that old lute - Style Brise,
Weichenberger, le Sage de Richee, Lauffensteirer, and now de Visee.

ed

At 11:43 AM 4/12/2013, Martin Shepherd wrote:
>The basses look very white - could they be Savarez KF strings?

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812