On 6/21/13 7:32 AM, "Brad Walton" <gtung.wal...@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> It was interesting to read of records concerning lutes in .....
> New England.

What records are you referring to? Are there records, i.e. documents, that
mention a lute in present day New England, or in any of the British
colonies?

I was once told that lutes were mentioned in a few probate records in
colonial Mass.. But that's so vague, and I have never found any detailed
information, like a name or date, or probate record book and page number,
for such records.

Does anyone know a specific reference to documents that mention a lute in
the probate (or other) records of colonial Mass. (or any other colony)?  I'd
really like to read these records for myself.

I've been doing my own research into colonial records for a few years now
and have been on the lookout for any mention of musical instruments. I've
found a few, but nothing for any lute family instruments.

I have found records, mostly in estate inventories, of fiddles/violins,
flutes, tin trumpets, a dulcimer, citterns, a hautboy - but nothing like a
lute.

Just for fun, here's an on-line reference to two court cases involving
citterns in 1670's Maryland. If you want to read the full text of the court
cases, there's a search box in the upper right corner where you can search
on the page number or words.
http://aomol.net/000001/000060/html/am60p--50.html

C.Etter