   From: Sean Smith <lutesm...@mac.com>
   To: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:14 PM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Big Fret Help
   Hi Sterling,
   I just went through the exact problem as you w/ the first fret not
   'lying down' about a month ago. I was also hoping on a piece of advice
   that wouldn't lead to removing and more carefully retying one. Yes,
   they are expensive at that diameter. Forgive me for watching and
   waiting for what other, more experienced players chimed in with.
   It's interesting that it will fold nicely at one point but if the fret
   gets rotated where that fold moves toward the string it won't lie down
   again. The possible lesson here is to not let that happen as we tie it.
   Cold comfort, I know.
   I found a way to keep pressure on that one raised area (after breathing
   warmly on it for a few minutes) over a few nights and it did eventually
   drop to an acceptable height.
   Btw, this occurs on a 6c w/ fairly low action (MHaycock). I did raise
   the nut w/ a few paper shims to accomodate the tastino and where MH
   originally spec'd 1.0mm for the 1st fret, I now use 1.15. I've tried to
   keep records lately to make refretting go easier but it's still the one
   operation that will enevitably take all afternoon and more fret gut
   than I'd like to use.
   Sean