   in 1968 .
   Thanks for the link- & the memories!
   Dan
   On 8/13/2013 2:25 PM, William Samson wrote:

   In case anybody has never seen a Passauro lute, here's one that he
   built in 1967.  I've seen it and the craftsmanship is impeccable, but
   the appearance is quite odd to a modern lutenist's eye.

   [1]http://image-projects.lib.ed.ac.uk/bitstream/10683/16909/1/0032282c-
   0001.jpg

   Bill
   From: Dan Winheld [2]<dwinh...@lmi.net>
   To: Edward Mast [3]<nedma...@aol.com>
   Cc: 'lute' [4]<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tuesday, 13 August 2013, 16:35
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: now- How did Iadone play?
   Hi Ed-
   That's right- New York Pro Musica, Noah Greenberg. And those old heavy
   but cool Passauro (Sp?) lutes. Do you know if there are any vids of him
   playing? Or even still pictures somewhere? Even some ex- student's
   description would help. I have largely gone over to thumb-out myself-
   "HIP" thumb out as far as I can figure it out- too much Archlute,
   Baroque lute & late Renaissance lute to stay with thumb under
   exclusively; so I would like to know more about how Joe played, since
   his recorded sound impressed me so much all those years ago.
   Thanks!  - Dan
   On 8/13/2013 6:40 AM, Edward Mast wrote:
   > Hi Dan,
   >
   > Joseph Iadone was my first exposure to the lute.  He headed an early
   music workshop that I attended for several years in Vermont (early
   70's).  Lucy Cross taught there also.  And Richard Taruskin, who led us
   through the early chapters of Hindemith's Elementary Training for
   Musicians.  I never heard any lute solos there, just amazing ensemble
   music, and lute songs, of course. (Russell Oberlin was there the first
   year I attended).  Joe was a truly unique player; no one played - or
   plays - like him.  I actually first heard about him through my brother,
   who was studying bass with him at the Hartt School of Music.  He did
   play with the New York Pro Musica, founded by Noah Greenberg.  I have
   some of their recordings with Joe, or Christopher Williams (one of his
   students) playing.  He also made some wonderful recordings with the
   Renaissance Quartet.  One of the recordings I have on CD is one he did
   largely himself at home, recording all the parts to duos, trios and
   quartets.
   > The story as I've heard it is that Hindemith asked Joe to play the
   lute in his collegium at Yale, so he had to teach himself how to play
   it.  I think some of the information about technique he got from the
   introduction to Varietie of Lute Lessons.  Thumb over (or out) but
   without nails and thumb-index for single lines.