This thread reminds me of what my music theory professor

   once told me about composition: "If it sounds good, it's good."

   Given that no two lutes and no two lutenists are the same, it

   is entirely possible that what works for one player on their

   instrument may not work for a different player on their instrument.

   Plus, there is the difference between playing for yourself or

   family in a small room, and trying to be heard solo or amongst other

   instruments in a large space.  As Mace says, one may have to

   sacrifice "sweetness" for projection - nails and plectra probably

   producing more high frequencies and "white noise" which carry

   farther, provide articulation, and are more easily heard.

     There is also the matter of personal taste: what sounds good to

   me may not sound good to another.  There can be more than one

   "correct" way to do anything.  One person's trash is another's
   treasure.

   Personally, I am always my own worst critic and am still working on

   getting results that please me on my lute instead of "hellish, jarring
   sounds."

     Thanks everybody for all of your insights. It's good to be able to
   learn

   form others' knowledge and experience.

   All the best,

     Tom