From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
erne...@aquila.mus.br [erne...@aquila.mus.br]
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 7:37 AM
To: Christopher Wilke
Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu Dmth; howard posner
Subject: [LUTE] Re: and the early music movement

Christopher,

maybe you should start to hear good early music musicians.
They all improvise, and are excellent at it.
I do not know any recorder, theorbo, cembalo, clarinet, cornetto, etc etc
player who does not improvise.
They learn it at school, in ensembles, from each other.
Take Van Eick, a basic recorder repertoire - full with improvisation.
Any Basso Continuo is an improvisation of sorts.

On the other hand, all onstage jazz impro's were tried out before in rehearsal.
There are very few musicians who do free-impro, total on-the-spot
improvisation, onstage.
Even Metheny and Coleman's "song x", a timeless masterpiece, is not way out
free in the utter sense of free improvisation.

Bad early music exists as well. I only hear it from amateurs. All pros I heard
until now were very good. A huge number of amateurs is excellent as well.

Your comments on early music are very unrealistic. Have you ever been to the
Basel conservatoire yourself?

Ernesto Ett
11-99 242120 4
11-28376692