On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:31:33 +0200, David Morales wrote

>    A few months ago, John Griffiths shared with us a project that was
>    brewing in Trujillo (Caceres, Spain) ... The idea was so simple
> that it   seems crazy to us: students technology institute
> "Francisco Orellana"   were engaged in the construction of nine
> vihuelas, with no previous   knowledge of lutherie, without having
> previously known the instrument   and barely have materials and
> tools for a work of such magnitude ...

Maye I miss something utterly obvious (I can't read spanish, so the
link doesn't really provide too much inforamtion for me), but what
is the point of such an experiment?

>From what I get, they used some late 15th century paintig as a modell,
but where did the (rather important) rest come from? John  Griffiths?
The neck/fingerboard/top joint doesn't look like anything I've seen
in early (i.e. pre 1500) viola/vihuela iconography.

But thank's for posting this link. It would be nice to learn a bit more
about the rationale behind the project.

 Cheers, RalfD