From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Martin Shepherd
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 2:16 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Bare spot on soundboard.

Another thing to consider is the height of the strings above the soundboard -
on a modern "classical" guitar, the height is much greater than on a typical
renaissance (or baroque) lute, so putting the little finger (pinky) down makes
no sense.  I think Sor did it, but he had a different guitar.

Tongue-not-entirely-in-cheek: if you want to talk about "inefficient"
technique, just look at the horrific bend in the wrist which is considered
normal on the (classical) guitar, and causes all kinds of problems.
Unfortunately our greatest expert has just passed away, and can no longer add
his voice....

Martin