From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Martin Shepherd
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:15 AM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: beginners, and practicalities of buying lutes

Well, Roman, I can see why you upset a few people.

I think mentioning lute makers or players by name, whether what you say about
them is positive or negative, is just a bad idea - and arguably downright rude.
 If your comment is positive, someone reading it might wonder if you have an
axe (sorry, no pun intended) to grind; if negative, your opinion is hard to
judge and is almost inevitably biased and based on limited evidence.

The price of a lute is difficult to make a judgement about.  The price of new
lutes is way too low - consider what a decent hand-made cello would cost!
That's not because cello makers are greedy people, it's just that the price of
a cello more accurately reflects the amount of work and expertise which goes
into it.  Even a cello maker earns less than a plumber or electrician.

The price of secondhand lutes is more difficult.  A good lute gets better with
age, and perhaps the price should reflect that, but it's surprising how few
people ask more than they paid, even if they've had the lute for a number of
years.  So sometimes there are excellent bargains to be had in the "for sale"
columns.

My site also has a page on buying a lute, including advice on what to look for
in a secondhand lute.

All the best,

Martin

On 15/10/2014 17:30, r.turov...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Collective Wisdom,
> Recently I had a few unpleasant conversations with some lute sellers,
> whose sales were thwarted by the advice given by me.
> Therefore I've decided to update and revise an old article of mine to
> reflect the practicalities of buying used lutes. So now I'm canvassing
> for ideas that can be added to it -
> http://polyhymnion.org/swv/theaxe.html
> Reply publicly!
> RT