   From: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Sunday, 23 November 2014, 15:37
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Single versus triple roses
   I fear there is a natural tendency to think of the rose as the hole
   that
   "lets the sound out", but I think this is a case where intuitive
   physics
   lets us down.  The size of the opening affects the natural resonant
   frequency of the body, with a smaller opening giving a lower frequency.
   But I invite all you proper physicists out there to explain why!
   A more complex issue, but one which is related in that it also involves
   a mismatch between intuitive physics and the real thing: many people
   seem to believe that the lute soundboard should be flexible to "allow
   it
   to vibrate", and that the more flexible it is the better the bass
   response.  In fact I think - please contradict me if I'm wrong - that
   the frequencies which we are interested in are far too high to be aided
   by a floppy soundboard, which is more likely to have a damping effect.
   As far as I can see, a relatively rigid soundboard is going to produce
   more sustained sound.  The most important factor is the mass, which
   must
   be kept as small as possible so it can be activated by a small input of
   energy - hence the rather thin soundboards (supported by many bars to
   retain sufficient rigidity) required by lutes.
   Martin
   On 23/11/2014 16:07, BENJAMIN NARVEY wrote:
   >    Dear All,
   >    Just wondering if any of you (especially the makers out there)
   have