   From: David Rastall
   Date: 17/12/2014 17:43
   To: Martyn Hodgson;
   Cc: Lute List;
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: those sarabands
On Dec 17, 2014, at 10:28 AM, Martyn Hodgson  wrote:

> ...are you quite sure that you yourself really intend to say (below) ' .... wi
th no dancers present, I suggest that the player is perfectly free to choose wha
tever tempo he wishes'?   Of course, a modern player can do what they like: but
I think the issue raised was more to do with evidence of historical practice - h
ence Thomas Walker's reasonable request for early sources.

Yes, certainly a reasonable request.  And yes, that is what I intended to say.
My response to Thomas Walker's request is:  evidence of historical practice woul
d most likely take the form of evidence gleaned from dancing masters of how the
dance itself was to be done.  So...go to the dancing masters for that.

As to what I intended to say, just exactly what performance tempo meant to a lon
e lutenist in the early 17th century I couldn't say, but I'm sure there was plen
ty of variety in the ways dance pieces were interpreted in the absence of any st
ructured environment involving dancers.  I took "the issue raised" to be:  early
 sources as a guide to contemporary performance tempi.  Hence the reference to a
 recording by Bailes.

I could be completely wrong here;  I'm treading on ground I know very little abo
ut.  But surely dance music is every bit as ambiguous as, say, ricercars and fan
tasias.  Or was there actually a set tempo for all sarabandes performed between
1610 and 1640?  If so, there's the answer to Thomas Walker's question.  My thoug
ht is that I'm sure there must have been slight variations...and in the absence
of metronome markings even the original sources would have been ambiguous on the
 subject.

Davis R

> Martyn

ng a sarabande.  He used the word "adapted."  Within the parameters of the dance
 itself, I agree with Ron entirely:  "yes" in answer to MH's question.  Given wh
at we know about the performance of other dances, for example galliards:  defini
tely "yes."  The original question concerned specifically the "French school of
1610-1640" and mentions specifically Ballard.  During that period sarabandes wer
e frequently danced when an entree was called for.  Do you have a specific metro
nome marking for playing all of Ballard's Entrees?  I hope not.  The dancing mas
ters of the time characterized the sarabande variously as brisk or slow:  it can
 be danced equally well either way, within the floor-plan description of the dan
ce itself.  It was also considered "scandalous."  Do you have a tempo for "scand
alous?"

> There is also some confusion here regarding the execution of sarabandes with o
r without dancers present.  On stage, with no dancers present, I suggest that th
e player is perfectly free to choose whatever tempo he wishes.  In his efforts t
o preserve an era in which no metronomes existed, I would say that the player is
 free to play sarabandes as scandalously as he wishes.