One of the best moisturizers in the world is uric acid. Egyptian women used to wrap their faces in towels soaked in cow's urine. They where renowned in the ancient world for their beautiful complexions. There are skin creams available that contain uric acid in crystalline form which is derived from the urine of horses. The kidneys sterilize urine, so there is no risk of infection. There is a more direct (and cheaper) approach than skin creams.

Name withheld to avoid the insult to my reputation.

On 2015-01-29 07:52, wayne cripps wrote:
Hi folks -

I am having serious issues with cracked skin on my thumb. about where it contacts the string, because of the dry winter weather here in the north. I am using band-aids to keep the crack closed, but the ones that I have tried all are too slippery to get a good sound on the lute strings. Has anyone found a good answer to this problem - either some bandage that works well
for plucking, or some other way to keep the skin from cracking?

 Wayne