Hi Herbert,

When I'm playing and wearing the strap, its pull is about 35 degrees away from
the line of the neck (to the bridge). If you were looking straight at the
belly, the strings would pull away to the left, to the rear and at an acute
angle to the neck. The strings, after they bend around the nut, pull the pegox
into the join at the neck at about 35 kg (338 N if I've read my StringCalc app
correctly for my 6c). I can't see how the weight of the lute pulling on the
pegbox from *any* direction will significantly compete with those 35 kg and its
hide glue adhesive. The strap pulls from two strings: one placed near the join
and one towards the other end of the pegbox and they pull, more or less,
equally.

Apparently I'm not understanding your observation.

But fret not; I do worry a little. The endpin is only held in by friction (and
a paper shim to give it the right diameter). I make sure _never_ to pull the
strap from the bottom away from the lute!

Sean