I find that it's quite straightforward to restrict the application of the paste
to just the part of the peg shaft that is in the hole and so the darkening
effect is not really noticeable. Admittedly I'm referring to plum pegs which
are definitely not as light-coloured as the lemonwood ones you use Martin.
Best,
Matthew