Very interesting and helpful
Monica
----- Original Message ----- From: <matteoravasi...@gmail.com> To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; "David van Ooijen" <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 11:55 AM
Subject: [LUTE] OT: Italian grammar question

Hi,

I would say that the most common meaning of â?oincantarsiâ? is not the one connected with the original meaning of the verb â?~incantareâ?T. We use it quite often to say that something or someone is stuck in a certain state. For instance, a smartphone can â?~incantarsiâ?T, when it freezes. But people can have the same problem, when they just stare at whatever is in front of them and are absorbed by their thoughts to the point that they are barely aware of what happens around them.

I guess this is a rather modern use of the word - but Iâ?Tm not sure about it. I donâ?Tt know whether you have encountered the word in an old treatis or modern text. In fact, it sound quite awkward to me to use this reflexive form to mean â?~to stand spellboundâ?T, if not straightforwardly wrong. I would rather suggest â?orimanere incantatoâ? as a translation for â?~to stand spellboundâ?T. Ex.: Matteo è rimasto incantato dallâ?Tesecuzione di Hopkinson Smith.

The conjugation for the present indicative is as follows:

Io mi incanto

tu ti incanti

lui/lei si incanta

noi ci incantiamo

voi vi incantate

loro si incantano

Finally, notice that we use reflexive verbs to express reciprocal actions (Ex: loro si amano: they love each other), in such a way that â?~loro si incantanoâ?T might mean something like â?~they enchant each otherâ?T, but this is hardly something you would commonly encounter outside the world of Harry Potter.

As always, it is difficult to give this kind of indications without knowing the proper context, but I hope this helps.

Best,

Matteo