Indeed, unless you set your lutes on fire, the Baroque flamboyant has little to do with the history of music. I have been personally guilty of over simplification, mostly because I had to organize my computer folders according to some kind of scheme. I won't go into the kind of geographical distortion I had to apply to the European continent for similar reasons. My current scheme is based on tunings: Renaissance G-tuning, transitional, baroque D-minor, ... Romantic guitar, but it obviously leaves something to be desired. Theorboes don't fit in and would require more disk space. Classification is important as a matter of practical interest, but its connection to reality remains anecdotal. Jorge Luis Borges said it better than I in one of his stories. He was a librarian by trade, so he knew what he was lying about in terms of classification. As long as you don't confuse your own fictions for reality, you should be fine. Unless you meet a classical guitar player who insists on saying he is playing "Baroque guitar music" -- meaning a transcription of a piece for harpsichord by Handel adapted for the 6-string Spanish guitar by some post-Modern era dude. Then, dialog could become murky. But that is what we invented quotation marks for. Incidentally, in literature, the Baroque is just not relevant as a period or a useful concept. Amazingly, English majors have survived. In conclusion, put quotation marks around everything, you hopey-dopey changey full-time lutenists, preferably with those crooked fingers of yours, and hope that somehow somewhere it will make sense to someone out there. Or just use the good old alphabetical order and leave out Chinese music -- if you don't have a good grasp of Unicode and the pipa.