As for synthetic loaded gut, I have had countless conversations with luthiers and lutenists hoping that you would soon get round to producing it, thus offering a new solution to the problem of finding satisfactory bass strings. I did not get to see any samples but those players and makers I have spoken to who did, were all very enthusiastic.

Best,

Matthew

On 01/05/2016 15:21, Mimmo Peruffo wrote:
Hello guys
Mimmo here.
a few answers to the question:

1) the shiny smooth nylgut was done to have stronger nylgut strings for the guges thinner of .46 mm. Unfortunately, 90% almost of players were not happy due to the slippering surfce. It was a pity because making them in this way produce very strong strings. They go up in tune very fast also The problem is that sometime they are not even and this is why they are sharp on the upper frets. They are made directly from the extruder.

2) we stopped to produce the tradictional rectified ones because the thinner gauges were too fragile. Right now I have not understand why. Actually they are very robust when they are polisshed and smooth but after the rectification process they change and became less strong. I tried a lot of solutions but with no good results. I agree that the texture is not the best however i can do a better work when I will have time for them. Rigfht now I am going to finish my job with the harp strings because there is a very urgent problem to solve in this field. In short: the gut avalaible for these instruments -since a few years- is very fragile- So many asked me to 'invent' a way to have a syntetic that work similar to this very stiff and oververnished gut ( nylgut is not o: too bright). The only alternative is the standard nylon that it si not good at all.

3) loaded gut basses
it is not possible to make the ol loaded gut because the raw gut is still not like in the past. This problem afect many stringmakers but they do not admit this for obvious things. HOWEVER, things are going to change: here in Italy we are going to produce very good quality of gut ribbons, same of the quality of the past. This job is not fst because there are people and money involved.

4) what about the sintetic loaded strings?
I have all the know- how to produce the sintetic loded bass strings. My problem is that I am very busy with the harps strings, as mentione before. Fluocabon strings are ok of course however i wonder what will happen when you will hear the sound of these sintetic loded strings. I am very excited to start to make these ones because I heard some prototypes on lutes & theorboes and they are excellent, ( to my feel almost) timing? well, to be honest i think that the harp strings will take to me 3 months almost. yes yes, I told this thing againg in the past but in those times I hd no idea how desperate the harp string situation was. In November I will attend the EM festival in Greenwich: my dream is to came with all these news on the table
Mimmo

-----Messaggio originale----- From: Matthew Daillie
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2016 12:25 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] unexpected phenomenon with Aquila 'shiny' nylgut

Dear All,

I have just changed some strings on my 6-course in a'. For the top two
courses I used some nylgut strings from July 2014. These are the shiny,
smooth nylgut strings Aquila produced for a year or so before they went
back to the previous formula, apparently after complaints from
lute-players that the new strings didn't have enough surface texture! I
have tried an awful lot of nylgut strings over the years (there have
been umpteen formulas, although Aquila didn't always publicize the fact)
and to my mind these were by far the best for top strings: they were
clear, true (except for the first batches), spoke freely all the way up
the fingerboard, were very close to gut tensions for a given diameter,
were extremely durable and could be put up to pitch and be stable almost
immediately. A great pity they stopped producing them.

Anyway, because I don't have many left, I decided to use one 0.44
diameter string cut in two for the second course of my lute (which has a
53 cm string length). To my surprise, one of the strings was incredibly
sharp going up the fingerboard. This morning I put it on the other way
round and it was fine! I have had similar experiences with some wound
and gut strings but I am very surprised that this should happen with a
small diameter nylgut string (maybe this was an unmentioned issue which
led to ceased production).

Any thoughts, comments?

Thanks,

Matthew

-----
Aucun virus trouvé dans ce message.
Analyse effectuée par AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7596 / Base de données virale: 4565/12143 - Date: 01/05/2016