Seems to me they were both designed to be in A minor, the song
   version being played on an A lute instead...
   Definitely from a hands point of view, the 7 Tears version in A minor
   using a G lute is much more difficult to play..

        Isn't the received wisdom also that none of the g minor Lachrimae
        pavans is by Dowland and that only the lute parts of the 7 tears
     show
        his handling of the theme as a lute piece?
        Except of course that the Lachrimae galliard is in g minor.
        Hmmmm.
        Sent from my Ouija board
        On Nov 28, 2017, at 12:02 AM, howard posner
     <[1][2]howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
        wrote:
          On Nov 27, 2017, at 8:02 PM, Edward C. Yong