   different uses also in the olden days. And look at the later 6 string
   guitar, which even had double strung chanterelles for a period in time.
   G.
   On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Antonio Corona
   <[1]abcor...@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

        Dear Edward,
        Despite what the pegs on the vihuelas suggest, I've found plenty
     of
        evidence that it was strung with a single first. We need to
     review our
        ideas on the subject of vihuela stringing ...
        Best wishes
        Antonio
     ______
        From: Edward Martin <[2]edvihuel...@gmail.com>
        To: lute net <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
        Sent: Sunday, 21 January 2018, 14:56
        Subject: [LUTE] Double first courses (chanterelles)
          Dear Collective wisdom,
          When did double first courses cease to exist on renaissance
     lutes?
        We
          know from early on, and from the middle ages, they were double
     strung
          on every course, including the treble.   In terms of
     iconographical
          evidence, I looked at the Caravaggio "Lute Player", an the
     subject
        (he
          or she) is playing a 6 course lute, double strung throughout,
        including
          the treble, and there are 6 pegs on the upper and lower side of
     the
        peg
          box.   Caravaggio's birth- death dates are 1571Ã ¢1610.   So,
     perhaps

      his
        subject had an old fashioned lute for the time, or perhaps
        double-strung first courses lasted longer than we may think.
        Vihuelas also her double strung in the first courses, at least the
        instruments show 12 pegs for the 6-course vihuela.
        I tried to look up some information to answer my questions, but I
      could
        not find any in the sources I used.
        So, my questions are:
        1.   When did the double first courses stop, or go out of vogue?
   Was
        it universal, or did some countries / nationalities stop the
   practice
        earlier or later than others.?   Did Francesco use a double first
        course?
        2.   Why did the double chanterelle stop?   We know that later,
   lutes
        only had pegs and pegboxes to accommodate a single treble.
        3.   What evidence is there to support the "when and why" of this
        practice?
        4.   If a double chanterelle was the norm for a great part of the
        renaissance, why is it that it is so infrequently that we see a
      modern
        player doing this practice?
        Thanks in advance.
        ed