From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
George Arndt
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 5:06 PM
To: John Lenti; howard posner; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; George Arndt
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Loose frets

   Hello John and everyone.

   I use masking tape on the back of my lute neck to hold loose gut frets.
   It works better than notching the edge of the fingerboard, putting glue
   on gut fret material, or inserting tiny wedges. Then I switched to
   salt-water fishing line for strings and found it works just as well for
   frets. I have double loops frets on my barque lute and single loop
   frets on my renaissance lutes and arch lute. So far I have only
   experienced first-frets slipping with fishing line frets.  The
   advantage is fishing line stretches when I hold both ends of the
   knotted line with pliers to pull both ways with force. I ruined more
   than a few pieces of wet gut fret material trying to pull a knot. I tie
   frets one position low and slide them up the neck for added tension. If
   the knot breaks it costs less then a penny to cut and tie a new fret.

   I also discovered masking tape works well to deal with loose and
   sticking pegs. I use a single wrap on pegs and trim the edges of the
   tape so it does not show outside of the peg box bore hole. I use 3-M
   blue painter's trim tape with very low tac. It does not leave a residue
   on the sticky side, it compresses just enough to snug the peg, and the
   exterior tape surface gives the right friction to turn a tight peg. If
   you suffer from slipping pegs, hold the peg box close to a bright light
   and looks for light leaking between a peg and the edge of the bore,
   when you see this try maksing tape. Then let us all know how it works
   for you.

   Thanks,

   George