Though I never broke a finger, I was told by various people that it is imperative that You use an injured limb as early as you can, even if it hurts, to ensure that it heals in a way that it returns to its normal function. Splints or plasters kept too long are said to result in stiffness or impaired mobility.

Am 04.07.2018 um 16:26 schrieb William Walton:
I had a "hammer" or "mallet" injury to the middle finger of my right hand,
which is a snapping of the ligament to the final phalanx.  I think that this is similar to an
avulsion fracture.  The doctor placed the finger in a splint, with the injured phalanx bent
slightly backward.  After three months the splint was removed.  The finger had straightened, and
the ligament had re-attached itself to the phalanx by the normal process of healing.  The finger
was extremely stiff however, and it was a few months before it returned to its original function.
It is now fully recovered.

Best Brad.

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Edward C. Yong
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 12:28 AM
To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [LUTE] Finger Fracture

hi lute people.

i had a fall and ended up injuring my left index finger. specifically an
avulsion fracture at the base of the intermediate phalanx. have any of you or
folk you know had such an injury?

my finger's in a splint now, and i'm wondering how long healing will take.

i'm seeing the hand surgeon tomorrow and wonder if i should ask for a pin to
help it set and heal properly. any advice welcome!

Edward Chrysogonus Yong
edward.y...@gmail.com