Thank You Ron for this very poignant post!

What can be read between the lines, and what also came up in many discussions I had about music:

Many people forget that music in the 16th century was not made to please a great mass of uneducated people, but highly educated patrons you would even today hardly find amongst the rich and influential people. Therefore, a musician's aim was to make the best music, not the common denominator - because if he achieved this task, he would be greatly rewarded with a fixed income and a highly regarded position, or as in for example John Dowland's case, a neverending successful European tour, being welcome wherever you go.

Thanks for quoting Anne Smith. Her book is very informative also on the abilities expected from a professional musician.