What is the significance of the double-"x" after some notes?  Is this a
   hold sign?

   Leonard
   -----Original Message-----
   From: Sean Smith <lutesm...@gmail.com>
   To: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 7:15 pm
   Subject: [LUTE] More dots
     Antonio Rota in his first book has a Saltarelo and Piva in the Dm
     Antico dance cycle that includes the passage (more or less similar in
     each)
     I2 0.2.3.5.7.I
     I3 2.3.5.7.8.I  etc.
     It may not be clear above but it's a run of thirds where each cipher
     has a dot following. The passage continues into the 2nd and third
     courses and the initial downbeat in each measure is undotted. Is he
     suggesting both notes are
     a) played with the index
     b) some non-thumb finger
     c) something else? brushed? strummed? two-note dedillo? lighter?
     AR is quite liberal in his right-of-cipher dottage in this print
   while
     the Gardane print (same year) strips them all away.
     AR also uses dots beside rootless chords on off-beats, including
     non-adjacent strings. I'm suspecting the innocuous dot may have other
     meanings beside "index finger here" but I'm not sure what.
   Suggestions?
     Speculation?
     Here is the facsimile link to the book [with thanks to Jo Bringmann].
     The passages are on 13v and 15r.

   [1][1]http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/0007/bsb00071965/images/index
   .ht
     ml?id