I think Jurgen was trying to say this - he started with a picture which upset
te lute list robot.

I didn't find an answer online or on the BLS's FB page as to how positions
above the octave are identified on a lute.
There is this curious section in Mercure d'Orléan's "Auff der Schlacht von
Padua" in Fuhrmann's Testudio p.188 where he notates notes as "p", "r" and "t".
As I don't want to trust my assumption that these would correspond to finger
positions 14,15 and 17 or the notes 'a', 'bb' and 'c' assuming a lute in g I am
asking here for the facts. And where are these finger positions or  'fret
names' codified? I attach a screen shot of the last two lines of that page.
Oh and I don't want to discuss the musical quality of that lengthy piece.

Best wishes
Jurgen