The resonance behavior of the neck may be as or more important than its mass.
If the neck is resonating in the frequency range of the music you are playing,
it is sucking up some of the energy you are putting into the strings and
dissipating that as internal heating rather than as sound, because of its
relatively low surface area.  If the neck is relatively heavy and is not
resonating, it can act as an anchor for the body and soundboard to push off of
so they achieve maximum displacement and efficient transduction of the string
energy into sound in the air.  The worst case would be when the neck has
resonant frequencies in the musical range and is relatively light, so that
motion is easily transmitted to it from the strings and the body and soundboard
of the instrument – then lots of your plucking energy gets diverted.

A physicist or engineer can assure you that almost any object has a fundamental
resonant frequency, normally with a number of harmonics in addition.  The
resonance frequency depends on the size, shape, mass density, and stiffness
(modulus of elasticity) of the object, and can be altered by changing the
tension or compression force on the object.  How can you determine the resonant
frequency/ies of your neck, since it is too complex an object to calculate them
easily as you can with a taught string or the air column in an organ pipe?  I
suggest using Chladni patterns, the way luthiers sometimes do when tweaking
soundboards.  You will need a variable frequency sine wave generator, an
amplifier, an audio speaker and some fine sawdust or powdered laundry
detergent.  Observing Chladni patterns requires a smooth, horizontal flat
surface on the object, and on a theorbo neck, that may be only the fingerboard,
so slide all the tied frets up to the nut (You do have marks to indicate t!
 he correct locations, don’t you?), lay the instrument on its back
(preferably on a dropcloth to aid cleanup) supported on cushions or rolled
towels with the fingerboard horizontal (use a small carpenter’s level if you
have one).   Sprinkle the fingerboard sort of evenly with the powder and set
the speaker near the instrument.  Sweep slowly through the audio frequencies
with your sine wave audio driving the speaker.  If/when the neck is resonating
at a given frequency, the powder should tend to gather at the nodes, while
clearing away from the antinodes.  If your fingerboard is cambered, sorry, this
may not work because of the lack of a flat surface.

Another method commonly used for observing resonance behavior is to illuminate
the object in question with a strobe light of variable frequency in a dark or
dimly lit location, again while driving the object with a sine wave of audible
frequency.  Unfortunately, in this case, I suspect the physical motion of the
instrument neck will be too small to be observable by eye, so it will not work.

Regards,

Daniel Heiman
Sent from Mail for Windows 10