I own a portable Marantz with decent on-board mics that does the job. I
   also own a slightly bigger Marantz (still portable) with on board mics
   but that I connect proper mic to and use as my studios recording
   device. Very, quiet mic preamps. Happy with both.
   The best thing in both units is that you can override the auto gain
   (don't even know if the bigger unit has auto gain, the bane of dynamic
   playing).
   David
   David van Ooijen
   [1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   [2]www.davidvanooijen.nl

   On Fri, 17 May 2019 at 20:16, Matthew Daillie