Geez Rainer,

can you be more arrogant?

At least enlighten me with the conclusions of Gombosii and Heartz and on
what those are based.

I am sick of getting referred to paywalled articles. I was reporting
this intercultural incident, not claiming this is really true.

But as Howard said, I was thinking, why not?

West Africa has been a trade partner with the Portuguese since the 15th
century, and maybe you all know the depiction of a completely African
Musica Alta group.

http://www.scottishjournalofperformance.org/De-Oliveira-Alves_trombone-portuguese-iconography_image-3.jpg

I was trying to make sense of "this is our culture". Those guys have
never encountered a Renaissance lute, but they recognized the music, why?