The negociations for Elizabeth to marry Francis finally failed in 1582, 15 years before the First book of songes was published. There is no mention in "Now o Now" of how ugly Francis was (dwarfish, with severe scars from the small pox). I don't see how English poets of the time could have skipped over the opportunity to revile a French suitor to their queen based on his physical appearance. If the Frog galliard were entitled the Toad galliard, your theory might hold some water...

Jokes aside, 15 years is a long time in politics (even in those days), and the complete absence of satirical content in the lyrics of the song cast a doubt on that theory in my opinion.

At the time Dowland published the First book of songs, Queen Elizabeth would have been 64, a ripe old age beyond any sort of romantic inclination and possibly touchy if anyone dared harp on it ... Having said that, English people still refer to French people as frogs - even if we find no evidence of that in the Beatles song catalog...

Dowland spent time in France, where he is supposed to have converted to Catholicism, and he had some very good reasons to stay well away from hot political matters at the English court.

There is an interesting Dowland song in the Musical banquet that seems to contradict my assumption that Dowland cared little for the court - though note necessarily the court of England. I think the Goddess he refers to is more likely Fame than Queen Elizabeth. That poem seems to refer to  several of Dowland's own songs, in a very post-modern sort of way, while having the same clarity as a quatrain by Nostradamus :

Farre from triumphing Court and wonted glory,
He dwelt in shadie unfrequented places,
Times prisoner now he made his pastime story,
Gladly forgets Courts erst afforded graces,
That Goddesse whom hee servde to heav’n is gone,

And hee one earth, In darknesse left to moane.

But loe a glorious light from his darke rest
Shone from the place where erst this Goddesse dwelt
A light whose beames the world with fruit hath blest
Blest was the Knight while hee that light beheld:
Since then a starre fixed on his head hath shinde,

And a Saints Image in his hart is shrinde.

Ravisht with joy so grac’t by such a Saint,
He quite forgat his Cell and selfe denaid,
He thought it shame in thankfulnesse to faint,
Debts due to Princes must be duely paid:
Nothing so hatefull to a noble minde,

As finding kindnesse for to prove unkinde.

But ah poore Knight though thus in dreame he ranged,
Hoping to serve this Saint in sort most meete,
Tyme with his golden locks to silver changed
Hath with age-fetters bound him hands and feete,
Aye mee, hee cryes, Goddesse my limbs grow faint,
Though I times prisoner be, be you my Saint.