When I was learning classical guitar back in the early 1970s, it was
   Julian Bream's recordings which awakened me to the depth of the
   renaissance lute repertoire. For that I owe him greatly. I immersed
   myself into quite a number of pieces which really inspired me (Semper
   Dowland Semper Dolens, anyone?). One result of that influence was that
   I attended a lute recital by Donna Curry at UCLA, and became a student
   of hers. She was one of the main second-generation "HIP" teachers (she
   studied under Herr Eugen Dombois at the Schola Cantorum). She sold me
   one of her performing instruments (a 10-course Frei lute made by Robert
   Lundberg. It has a wonderful sound).
   After attending a recital by Julian Bream circa 1977 (at either UCLA or
   Cal State Long Beach), I remember discussing his playing technique with
   Donna. The first part of the recital was on lute, and after an
   intermission the second part was guitar. I recall being surprised that
   his right-hand lute technique was so guitar-like. I do not recall
   noticing anything unusual about the lute that he played. It had a
   normal lute shape, round back etc. The sound did not project to the
   same extent as his guitar. (It was a large auditorium, and quite full.)
   To this day, even though his technique perhaps wasn't so "HIP", I still
   feel the sense of gratitude that without his recordings I may have
   never been exposed to the exquisite lute-playing experience.
   Moshe Davis
   On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 23:09, John Mardinly <[1]john.mardi...@asu.edu>