"I’ve seen a few lutes with a nasty bulge between the bridge and the rose. RT"

Bingo. Wish I could post a pic of my archlute. 3 mm. at the bridge side of the rose, right where my RH wants to be, ergonomically. The one "silver lining" to this deplorable soundboard distortion is that it forces me to play closer to the bridge; which is preferable both for the sound & more historically accurate. (That of course is why they were more "accurate" back then!)                   -Dan