Dear Martyn,

I wrote something about it in my book on the lute history (IL LIUTO, L’Epos,
Palermo, 2012, p 260):
"A lute, very similar to that shown in Dalla Casa’s portrait - and not by
chance preserved in Bologna (Civic Medieval Museum) - is shown in the "Table of
exhibition illustrated in the provinces of Emilia, Bologna, 1888" (“Tavola de
l’Esposizione illustrata nelle province dell’Emilia, in Bologna, 1888”).
The instrument, (inv. 1755) is classified in the catalogue edited by John Henry
van der Meer as a tenor lute from the second half of the 16th century. It bears
inside a scroll manuscript, almost certainly false, which reads: Hans Frei in
Colonia / 1597. The soundboard, which is dating from the sixteenth century but
coming from another lute, is not contemporary with the bowl, which also dates
from the sixteenth century. It has a gilded rose and gold decorations of winged
animals.Van Der Meer argues that neck and pegbox date back to a 19th century
alteration, but could rather be an example of “French archlute” dating from
the 18th century, such as the one owned by!
  Dalla Casa and likely built by Fontanelli."

Best regards,

Davide