A question—mostly likely for luters north of the border—

Do we have any documentary evidence (letters, wills, inventories, etc.) of
lutes or theorboes in New France (Canada and Western US) in 16th-17th
-18thcenturies? Are there any surviving instruments from the period in Canadian
museums or collections?

A number of years ago, historian colleague showed me a reference to a theorbo
in the French Caribbean in a (I think) late 17th-c text. I’ve misplaced the
reference and am trying to dig it up again. (If anyone out there knows this
source, I’d appreciate your jogging my memory.)

There are, of course, references to the guitar in 16th-c Spanish and French
colonies but I don’t recall ever seeing lutes listed in any of those
documents.

Regionally, a local historian shared with me a reference to a guitar in the
early 19th-c will/inventory of a French settler in Ste. Genevieve MO. I don’t
think there is any description of the instrument, so no telling if it was a
French baroque guitar, a European transitional guitar or a New World instrument.

Thanks in advance for any pertinent ideas or suggestions.

See ya,

jeff