Dear Matthew,

merci beaucoup pour tes observations précises et pour ton offre d'analyser ma
position de main et peut-être trouver une solution.
I added a link to a photo of my right hand on my 8c lute with the pinky close
to the chanterelle - I didn't make a video because I would need to more or less
voluntarily touch the string while playing which I'd be afraid exposes me to
ridicule.

https://flic.kr/p/2gPx4vk

I'm playing the easy anonymous Courantes of the Cherbury Lutebook because I
have tremendous problems to hit the right bass course. As a side effect I also
have the pinky issue that ruins my inner peace which my initial post was about.
The fairly easy one on f.25vb (if the pieces of the book were numbered no.52)
is a perfect example for my nightmares (both for the pinky causing the
chanterelle to buzz or mute frequently and my thumb that misses frequently it's
destination).
String distance is "standard" according to the lute maker: The spacing between
courses is precisely 10mm (also between D and the chanterelle), the strings of
the doubled courses are 5mm apart.

As you very sharply observed, I do not have issues with my 6c lute where I play
the music thumb under with a very different angle of the hand.

OK so far! Thanks again,
Jürgen

“Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.”

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rumi