Dear Ones,
   I have owned the Boethius edition of The Robarts Lute Book, and I am
   interested in it, as the music contained seems to be of very high
   quality, and the majority of the pieces are by Vieux Gaultier.   All
   the music is for 11-course French baroque lute.
   I am wondering if there have been any papers written about this book.
   In the front of the book it states that this MS was discovered in a
   drawer at Lanhydrock House, the Robarts family home in Cornwall.   It
   had been in the possession of that locale since it had been written out
   for Hender Bobarts (1635-1685).   Apparently, he traveled to France in
   1654 with his brothers and had lute lessons with a certain "Bourgaise"
   on this or subsequent visits.   Apparently there are further details by
   Robert Spencer, A Lute Misic Discovery at Lanhydrock, The National
   Trust Year Book 1975-6, pp.88-90.   I have not been able to find this
   paper.
   Written in French, in the prelim., The lute teacher of Hender robarts
   signs himself as Bourgaise, presumably a French spelling of the Italian
   Bourghese.   Apparently in the Rene Milleran Lute Book, Mr. Bourghsaisi
   is listed among "principaux maitres" for lute at the time, so he was
   perhaps highly regarded.
   I am wondering, is there any additional research available about
   Robarts and Bourgaise, or Bourgsaisi?
   Thanks in advance.
   Edward Martin
   .