Dear lute netters,

some of you may know that the Euing lute manuscript contains texts  written
upside-down on some pages.

On the bottom of folio 41r which contains Holborne's Posthuma pavan there is a
relatively long text written in a very small hand upside-down.

I have managed to identify the text - in the hope it may help to date the
manuscript.

It is a translation of the famous 23. psalm - know from dozens of Westerns and
even science fiction films.

"Unfortunately" this version is drawn from a book published in 1679 - much
later than the lute music.

See

The Psalms of David-,
by John Patrick, D.D. Preacher to the Charter House,
London:—London 1679.

In

HISTORY
OF THE
Scottish Metrical Psalms;
WITH AN ACCOUNT OF
THE PARAPHRASES AND HYMNS,
AND OF THE
MUSIC OF THE OLD PSALTER.

by J. W. MACMEEKEN,
Glasgow, 1872

there is an appendix with 42 [sic!] versions of the 23. psalm and this version
appears only once.
Therefore I have little doubts rewarding its origin.

Rainer