Hi Martyn

 The lute list converts all text to plain text.  No fonts, no font sizes, no
colors, and some non-North-American letters get garbled.  This is done while
removing any possible viruses from the message.  It is also because in the past
HTML  formatted messages confused many people.

 If you want to keep your message clear I recommend that firstly you delete any
text that isn’t relevant.  This is important as otherwise a person can get
confused  reading the message with replies.  Many people are too lazy to clean
up their messages.  Secondly I recommend that you separate thoughts and
paragraphs with a blank line.  The blank lines between paragraphs will stay
with most mail readers.

 When you reply to a message, that message has been formatted by the list
robot, by the original senders email program, and by your program.  As your
conversation goes back and forth  these three processes interact in strange
ways and add more and more layers to the message.  So it really helps if you
take the time to clean up the formatting and delete unnecessary text each time
you reply.  I know this interferes with the feeling of being in the moment
which is so important to computer gamers, but it makes the results a lot more
readable.

 Wayne