Dear Monica,
   I don't wholly disagree with you that 'stylistic' grounds can be a bit
   of a minefield but, I suggest and believe, can still be both useful and
   instructive if taken with an appropriate dose of scepticism.. I don't
   really accept your student's assertion that  'style criticism should
   be avoided because it cannot be valid evidence'.........
   regards
   Martyn
   PS I'm still receiving multiple copies of these email messages (often
   three in a row!) - I don't recall this happening before. I've passed a
   note to our kind benefactor Wayne.

   On Friday, 5 June 2020, 16:57:23 BST, Monica Hall