I unterstand the point, but he was (at last so I unterstand) also an
   active performer. And: the Bergamasca variations for keyboard by
   Frescobaldi come in the print publication with a  remark that you will
   have learned a lot after you have  played them through. Would that make
   them mere pedagocial stuff?
   As for the longest non-variation piece for lute: this is (mit an
   Sicherheit grenzender Wahrscheinlichkeit) either the Gavotta nimis
   endlesslia by Irenaeus Taubengraus or the third movement from
   Donnerstag aus Lärm by this contemporary composer... What was his
   Name... Expedit ex Memoria..
   Best
   Reichert Versbold von Lüdtkenswalde

   Am 29.08.2020 18:10 schrieb Christopher Stetson