   From: lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
   <lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of LSA Editor
   <lsaq.edi...@gmail.com>
   Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2020 9:56 PM
   To: LSA President <lutesocietyamericapresid...@gmail.com>; lutelist Net
   <Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: My web site

      Hi Cathy,
      I am including Sean about your questions on the lutelist versus FB.
      Sean looks both them and Nig even more than I do, so can give you a
      better answer.  Here are my sanswers:
      The lutelist is old-fashioned and it's biggest virtue is that we
   have
      access to people like Art Ness and Martin Shepherd to answer
      questions.  It's vibe is a bit more toward the serious lute player,
   but
      the people are mostly patient with newbies with questions. It is not
      the place for promoting you CD or next concert.
      FB IS the place to promote anything and everything and I think Larry
      spends time getting rid of the messages that off topic.  FB has a
      younger vibe - or maybe it had a younger vibe when it started. I
   hear
      it has been taken over by groups like the LSA and some musicians use
   it
      instead of a web page.  FB can have pictures and mostly postings are
      very short.
      I don't think the lutelist needs much curating, at least not right
   now.
      We've had a couple of differences of opinion in the past, but
   nothing
      recently.  Another big benefit for me is that people access the
      lutelist using their own emails and I can keep the email address for
      future contacts. The people there are a big source of additions to
   my
      lists of prospective LSA members. I can be the moderator for the
      lutelist until it's up and running and we find a good person to take
      the job over. We don't have the problem with the LL of every tom,
   dick
      and harry wanting to join it - it's more for the cognisenti.  David
      Smith might be a good moderator - he's been on the LL for years.
      When I had an orpharion for sale on Wayne's list (and it wasn't
      selling) Wayne checked in with me to see if it was still for sale
   after
      about a year.  This seems to me to be a small job that only needs
      looking at every few months.  I think the other part of  job is
   posting
      new instruments for sale.
      We would also need to make sure people know where to find both the
   LL
      and LFS lists - a few CC blitzes?, since people are used to going to
      his Dartmouth site and it will be linked on places like the ELS
   site.
      Nancy
      I agree. Now that we are back on solid footing — Whew! We should not
      piss off people like Wayne after all he has done. We should probably
      not piss of anyone! — we can proceed.
      What happens on the lute list that doesn't happen on Facebook or on
      Danny Shoskes' site? Just curious.
      What kind of curating does ithe lute list need to work well and be a
      benefit? There is little point in setting one up if we don't have
      someone dedicated to keeping it operating properly, not only from
   the
      tech standpoint, but just as important, to keep nasty people off.
   The
      same question applies to the Lutes for sale listings. At the very
   least
      we need someone ready to take posts down when the seller has
   completed
      the transaction.
      I might see if Chris Henriksen can tell me if Bill Good would be
   good
      for this kind of thing. He did not want to be a custodian, but maybe
      this is more to his liking. Maybe Lyn Abissi will know someone.
   These
      two were making great strides toward setting up a local chapter here
   in
      Boston, but the pandemic knocked that out, as far as I know.
      At the next Board meeting, hopefully this fall, maybe some of our
   new
      Board members will either step up or know someone who could be
   asked.
      Feeling relieved that we are on a better track with this.
      Cathy
      Catherine Liddell
      President/Chairman of the Board
      [uc?id9TJhsqVKmGMNWhuR19WWXJYQU0&amp;export=download]
      [1]www.lutesocietyofamerica.org
      On Sep 3, 2020, at 12:33 PM, LSA Editor <[2]lsaq.edi...@gmail.com>